Lightning struck a wind turbine off the coast of Nantucket, Massachusetts, last week, further damaging a turbine operated by Vineyard Wind that made headlines last year when its blade fell off, polluting the ocean and nearby beaches.
“The coverup blows on. Vineyard Wind’s lack of transparency around the structural integrity of its mammoth wind turbines is deeply frustrating to fishermen,” said Jerry Leeman, CEO of the New England Fishermen’s Stewardship Association.
“In fact, Vineyard Wind officials met in February with officials from the Bureau of Safety and Environment Enforcement to discuss improving communications over safety issues. Foreign offshore wind developers seem breezily dismissive of commercial fishermen,” he added.
The incident allegedly occurred last Thursday, and a representative of Vineyard Wind has since confirmed to the New Bedford Light that, although a visual inspection appeared to confirm that lightning struck the turbine, they claimed that no additional debris had fallen into the ocean.
One outlet, the Nantucket Current, reported that the Coast Guard said that the nub of the previously damaged turbine blade caught fire and detached.
The Vineyard Wind farm made headlines last year when the same turbine broke during a routine test, scattering fragments of a blade in the ocean and polluting it with fiberglass.
Despite the risks and potential environmental hazards of offshore wind turbines, Democrats across the country, including Gov. Janet Mills (D-Maine), have pushed forward with plans to develop the nation’s coasts with towering turbines to produce “clean” energy.
Those plans hit a roadblock when President Donald Trump took office and signed an executive order preventing the entire U.S. mainland coastline from being leased for offshore wind development indefinitely.
“Windmills are an economic and environmental disaster. I don’t want even one built during my Administration. The thousands of dead and broken ones should be ripped down ASAP. Most expensive energy, only work with massive government subsidies, which we will no longer pay,” said President Trump, days before he took office and signed the order.




0 Comments