Homeless Machete Attacker – Released from Maine Jail – Arrested Again for Portland Park Knife Attack

by Edward Tomic | Aug 29, 2024

A homeless man who in January was charged with assaulting people with a machete outside a Portland apartment complex was arrested again earlier this week for assault and disorderly conduct.

Ahmed Hussein Ismail, 38, who in a February press release Portland Police identified as “unhoused,” was arrested in Portland on Tuesday and charged with assault and disorderly conduct.

As of Thursday morning, Ismail is being held at the Cumberland County Jail on $1,500 bail.

66d0a1e125ebe
Share this media
Tuesday booking photo for Ahmed Hussein Ismail, 38 | Source: Cumberland County Jail

According to a spokesperson for the Portland Police Department, Ismail was apprehended at the baseball field near the Deering Oaks Park.

“[H]e assaulted someone with a knife,” the spokesperson said. “According to our records, we still believe he is unhoused.”

On Jan. 31, 2023, shortly after 9 p.m., Portland Police responded to 211 Cumberland Ave. (Franklin Towers) for a report of a fight.

The fight reportedly involved a man who was “moving around the building with a machete and assaulting people,” police said.

The suspected assailant, Ahmed Ismail, was located by police and charged with assault, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon and violating conditions of release.

Following his arrest, when Ismail was being booked at the Cumberland County Jail, he was charged with unlawful possession of scheduled “W” drugs and trafficking in prison contraband.

Edward Tomic is a reporter for The Maine Wire based in Southern Maine. He grew up near Boston, Massachusetts and is a graduate of Boston University. He can be reached at [email protected]

Help Support The Effort

0 Comments

Join the discussion...

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Discover more from The Maine Anchor

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading